Date 2019 to be announced
The aim of this one-week course is to introduce, discuss, and experience the technologies and applications of various advanced optical microscopic techniques. Also tissue and cell preparation protocols and immunocytochemical procedures will be discussed. Finally, vital imaging and quantification of molecular processes in the cell will be explained and demonstrated.
Postdoc and PhD students in the Life Sciences.
This course is composed of lectures, practical training, and demonstrations on the following topics:
- Basic microscopy
- Fluorescence microscopy
- Confocal laser scanning laser microscopy
- Light sheet microscopy
- Super-resolution microscopy (with a focus on STED*)
- Multiphoton laser scanning laser microscopy
- Vital imaging of cells and tissues, including GFP-technology
- Computer-enhanced digital video microscopy
- Fluorescence recovery after bleaching (FRAP)
- Fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET)
- Fluorescence lifetime imaging (FLIM)
- Sample preparation for optical microscopy
- 3D image restoration
* The lecture "Backgrounds and applications of STED microscopy" will be given by Leica Microsystems.
Theoretical lectures will be provided in the morning sessions, while practical training and demonstrations are planned in the afternoon. You will have the opportunity to discuss your results or view your own microscopic preparations with experts in the field.
The course will end with a one day symposium, the annual Maastricht Microscopy Meeting (MMM) on Advanced Optical Microscopy.
At the start of the course students will receive by email an open question, dealing with a cell biological problem that has to be solved by using microscopic techniques and proper preparation of the sample. Students may do this assignment individually or in small groups.
Maximum: 20 participants
June 2019 [Date to be announced]
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences and Maastricht University Medical Center
Prof. dr. rer. Nat. Marc van Zandvoort, Molecular Cell Biology, Maastricht University Medical Center
PO Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht,
T: (+31) (0) 43 3881351
F: (+31) (0)43 3884151
F. Ramaekers, M. van Zandvoort, J. Broers, W. De Vos (Antwerp University), T. Rademakers, R. Dijkstra (SVI Huygens Hilversum) and others (to be announced)
This course is sponsored by: